What You'll Need:
- bouncy balls of various sizes (balloons would also work)
- clear drying craft glue
- hemp string
estimated amounts needed:
16 inch diameter ball—400 yards
14 inch diameter ball—300 yards
9 inch diameter ball—100 yards
- plastic gloves (optional)
- trash bag or small drop cloth
- permanent marker
- ball inflating needle
- light fixture and hardware
1. Draw a circle on the ball with a permanent marker. This circle will mark a space on the lamp that needs to remain clear of string. The empty circle will be used in assembling the light fixture and will allow you to have access for changing light bulbs. If the light fixture you are using has lamp shades, make sure that the circles are big enough for the shades to easily pass through.
2. Cover your work surface with trash bags or a drop cloth, and put on gloves.
3. The best way to apply the glue is to squeeze a quarter size amount onto your fingers and run the hemp string through the glue and then wrap it around the ball. You can fill a shallow tub with the glue and run the hemp string through it, or you can apply the glue directly to the string from the bottle.
4. Glue and wrap, glue and wrap, glue and wrap. Just keep going. Try to wrap randomly to avoid criss-cross patterns. The more densely wrapped the lamp is the stronger it will be.
5. Make sure to avoid wrapping string over the circle area and apply extra glue to any weak areas.
6. Repeat the steps 1-5 to make multiple lamps. Let the glue dry completely.
7. Use the inflating needle to deflate the ball.
8. Remove the deflated ball from the lamp.
9. Lastly, follow the installation instructions that come with your light fixture. While installing the light string, feed the wires through the circle hole of the lamp and up through the top, so that the light bulb will hang down in the center of the sphere.
This website:http://www.craftynest.com/2009/03/hemp-pendant-lamps/ provides some great information and tips on which glue and light fixtures they would recommend.
Happy Monday :)